MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE CHOOSE NELORE FOR YOUR ZEBU INFLUENCE
DON'T RAISE PROBLEMS RAISE NELORE
The Nelore has all the qualities that practical cattlemen the world over seek and value. The overall value of the Nelore is unquestionable. It's just that simple. For instance:
- Cows calve easily at a young age due to their long, deep bodies, angle of rump, pelvic opening and larger frames.
- The maternal instinct is highly developed in the Nelore dam trough weaning an important trait in open range breeding systems.
- The Nelore has clean underlines, with the bulls having short, tight sheaths and the cow's small udders with short teats that allow the calves to suckle more easily. This is not typical of other Zebu breeds.
- Nelore are affectionate animals and respond well to good handling, becoming extremely docile.
Table - % Calving Difficulty and Pregnancy Rate of Participating Breeds
Table - % Calf Survival and Calf Crop Weaning of Participating Breeds
GENETICS AND BREEDING
- The early sexual maturity of the Nelore has allowed them to become the fastest growing purebred Zebu breed in Brazil - the national Nelore herd now stands at 150 million head.
- Bulls have a high libido, making them ideal for breeding with cows on the open range.
- Detailed performance records are kept on all TEXAS CONNECTION animals and data for more than forty years are now available
- As the purity of the Nelore is high, its progeny is both predictable and consistent.
"NELORE: THE TROUBLE FREE CATTLE"
The percentages of Zebu Breeds registered in Brazil with the ABCZ during the last 40 years clearly show that the majority of Brazilian beef breeders have settled on the Nelore as their preferred Bos Indicus beef breed.
- Dams have long and prolific reproductive lives with plenty of milk for calves that are born light and grow quickly.
% cows remaining in the herd to age fourteen under actual and imposed culling
HEAT TOLERANCES AND INSECT RESISTANCE
- The Nelore breed has a tremendous capacity to adapt in harsh climates.
- Their loose, darkly pigmented skin, covered with unctuous white or light grey hair filters and reflects the harmful rays of the sun and radiates heat.
- Zebu cattle have an average of 1300 sweat glands per square centimeter, where as European cattle have about 994.
- The dense texture of their skin protects them from ectoparasites and layers of subcutaneous muscles enable them to shake off insects.
- A distinguishing feature of the Nelore is their physical strength and ability to thrive in harsh climates.
- Excellent foraging and walking abilities.
- They do well even in drought and poor range conditions.
- Calves are alert and active; need little human intervention.
"THE THREE REASONS OF SUCESS: DETERMINATION, QUALITY AND RESULTS"
- The Nelore can convert poor quality forages and grasses into highly palatable beef and can withstand long periods without water, making it very thrifty and an easy keeper. Zebu cattle generally have a 10 percent larger digestive tract than European cattle.
- Because it feeds frequently but in small quantities, it generates little internal heat and resists bloating.
- This excellent feed efficiency allows the Nelore and its crossbreeds to finish well and early in feedlots with very positive carcass results.